Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Autoprop it is

I finally decided on the propeller. I'm going to go with the Autoprop. It was a decision between the Autoprop and the Max-Prop. Here is how I broke the decision down.

Pros for Autoprop vs Max-Prop
1) Autoprop is more efficient under power than Max-Prop. Lots of arguments can be made about the so-called, "auto" pitching of the Autoprop, but it is simply a more efficient prop than the Max-Prop. In the Salish Sea, we spend a lot of time under power (unfortunately).

2) Don't have to circumcise the prop shaft with the Autoprop like you do the Max-Prop. This was a big one. Once you cut off the end of the shaft, then using another prop, such as if I hit a rock, damage the prop, and need a replacement, becomes more difficult. With the Autoprop, I can always throw on the old 3 blade if need be.

Cons for Autoprop vs Max-Prop
1) The Autoprop isn't as efficient under sail as the Max-Prop, as it doesn't feather as well, but I'm not going to be racing and the Autoprop is still a lot more efficient than the fixed prop on there now.

2) The Autoprop is more expensive. While a buddy of mine claims to be able to get a Max-Prop for me for less than direct from PYI, he hasn't gotten back to me. If he could, the Max-Prop would be about $1500 less than the Autoprop. That is a LOT of money.

3) Max-Prop is local to me. Any problems and they are just up the freeway about an hour. Being local, there are a lot of folks that have used them in this area.

4) Timeliness of delivery. I could get the Max-Prop next-day. The autoprop is more likely next week. Given that the boat may be sitting on the hard waiting for the prop, this is a consideration as well. However, AB-Marine assured me that I could get it early next week (we'll see if AB-Marine comes through).

So I finally decided that the "pros" for Autoprop outweighed the "cons" and ordered it this morning from AB-Marine.

Depending on who you listen to, the boat will either magically float across the water, burning nary a drop of fuel, or the blades will fly off, causing catastrophic failure and resulting in the sinking of the vessel. We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment