Sunday, September 19, 2010

Holding tank vent

With the direction of some other Catalina 400 owners, I found the aft holding tank vent behind the access panel in the shower. The vent thru-hull was right there. I took off the hose, created a packing with some small line, and back-flushed the vent hose with a water hose. It seemed to flow free. Looking at the clam shell vent though, I think that I want to replace it with a standard through hull. The right angle of the OEM vent works well for the hoses, and I know that I can find a plastic thru-hull vent in the right diameter with a 90 angle to replace it.

Here is a shot of the inside of the thru-hull. The large white hose to the left is the aft holding tank pump out hose. What I haven't figured out is how to actually remove this fitting. Yet another question I'll ask current Catalina owners. They are very helpful.





Here is a vent that I'm considering replacing it with.



I may also just use a straight through Marelon vent but I'm not sure if there is enough clearance for the hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment